If you are looking to take your off-roading adventure on your Jeep Renegade, then a rooftop tent is the way to go. A rooftop tent can offer you a safer and more secure sleeping platform than sleeping on the ground.
If you haven’t slept in a rooftop tent, it is hard to imagine how different it is from sleeping in a ground tent. A good rooftop tent offers a greater bird’s-eye view of your surrounding, provides excellent airflow that is never experienced in a ground tent, protection, and overall superior comfort for sleeping.
As the popularity of over-landing increases by the day, so is the rooftop tent market and you might be wondering which are the right rooftop tents best suited for your Jeep Renegade. However, note that, owing to the weight of the rooftop tents and that of their occupants, you require to install a sturdier roof rack system on your Jeep.
Regardless, with any of our four top-rated rooftop tents, you can be sure to safely snooze above the bugs, creepy crawlies, and from the ever-changing camping ground conditions synonymous with ground tents.
Top-Rated Jeep Renegades Rooftop Tents
Smittybilt Overlander Tent
The Smittybilt Overlander rooftop tent is designed to elevate campers’ experiences, particularly when it comes to stargazing. It is made of durable fabric material and anodized aluminium tent crossbars to ensure sturdiness atop your Jeep.
It features two zip-open panels of the roof incorporated with an anti-mosquito net for maximum airflow. When there is rain, simply strap on the included rainfly and leave the roof panels open for exceptional ventilation.
The tent comes with multi-LED light strips for greater interior illumination. Other accessories include 4 internal storage pockets, an exterior bag for storing shoes, a telescoping ladder, and a sleeping mat. If you want more room, consider the XL model that allows sleep for up to 4 adults.
- Standard size tent (sleeps 2-3) with high-density 92″ x 55″ foam double/full mattress and 661 lb. max load
- 600D heavy-duty waterproof top and rain fly; sunroof; side windows with mosquito netting; anodized aluminum tent frame poles; telescopic ladder; interior LED strips and…
- Easy to set up and take down; heavy duty PVC cover keeps tent dry and free from UV rays when not in use
- Smittybilt Tent Annex (sold separately #2788) with removeable floor can be attached with heavy duty zippers for privacy
- 600D heavy-duty waterproof top and rainfly
- Side window mesh
- Anodized aluminum tent frame poles
- Interior LED strips
- Telescoping 18-inch extra-wide ladder
- External shoe storage bag
- Mounting brackets included
- 2 Person capacity
Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic 3 Extended Rooftop Tent
The Nomadic 3 Extended Rooftop Tent from Overland Vehicle Systems features heavy-duty construction materials to ensure it stays strong even in the roughest of rainstorms over time. Besides, the breathable 600D rip-stop polyester-cotton canvas prevents condensation while providing greater protection in the harshest weather conditions.
To enhance air flow inside the tent, it features screened windows and a skylight. The removable waterproof rain fly offers extra cover while the annex room is offered as a separate purchase. The tent enclosure is built on a diamond plate base which is made of marine-grade steel hinges and hardware.
The tent also comes with a 3-inch foam mattress with a quilted cotton cover for added sleeping comfort, 6 built-in storage pockets, heavy-duty travel cover, and bonuses such as memory foam pillows, LED lights, mini broom, dustpan, and a lap table.
- Features: Marine Grade 600D Rip-Stop Polyester Cotton Canvas Water Proof Body, 420D Polyester Oxford Waterproof Rain Fly, 110g Fade-less Gaze Breathable Windows, 3″ High…
- Fitment: Anything with a factory or aftermarket roof rack. Please confirm rack weight capacity prior if you’re unsure.
- Installation: Requires no drilling or modification to your vehicle if equipped with factory or aftermarket roof rack.
- Tent Bonus Pack: Memory Foam Pillows, & Mini Broom and Dust Pan
- 600D Rip-Stop Polyester cotton canvas
- 420D Polyester Oxford waterproof rain fly
- 110g Fade-less gaze breathable windows
- 3-Inch high-density foam mattress with quilted cotton cover
- Marine-grade stainless steel hardware
- 100g Transportation cover
- Insulated base
- Tubular telescoping ladder
- LED Velcro strip
KingCamp Rooftop Tent
The KingCamp Rooftop Tent comes with a rugged hard-shell design, ideally to do away with the rips and leaks that may occur with a canvas roof tent design. Besides, it ensures overall durability than conventional tents. With the gas springs, this tent pops up automatically during setup once you release the straps.
It comes with a 2-inch high-density foam mattress that most users report to be comfortable and spacious enough for two adults to sleep. The two meshed windows ensure proper ventilation inside the tents while the doors zip open to complement the windows by increasing airflow.
It is equipped with a high-grade hydraulic strut allowing the tent to pop up automatically without a hassle. The aluminum ally telescoping ladder offers a stable and convenient climb to and from the tent.
- 【Hard shell roof tent】 The rooftop tent is made of durable ABS hard shell and special Oxford with PU 3000mm waterproof coating, plus a reinforced aluminum alloy /ABS…
- 【1 Minute Setup】Less than 60 seconds fully automatic setup. Park your vehicle and setup your hard shell roof top tent in just seconds. Equipped with the highest grade…
- 【Sleeps 2 People】Opened size 82.7” x 50.8” x 45.3”. Standard size roof tent (sleeps 2) with 2” high-density comfortable queen size foam mattress. KingCamp hard…
- 【Lightweight Design】116 lbs weight. 880 lbs max load. To mount a roof top tent to your roof, it will need a roof rack or truck bed rack required(not included). You…
- Oxford with PU 300mm waterproof coating
- ABS base
- 2 –Inch high-density queen size foam mattress
- 7.6-Feet aluminum alloy telescoping ladder
- 2 Side mesh windows
- Pop up automatic set up
- 2 Person capacity
How to Buy a Jeep Renegade Rooftop Tent – Buyer’s Guide
Look For What Fits Your Vehicle
Certainly, not every rooftop tent will fit every vehicle, much less a Jeep Renegade. To find a rooftop tent that fits your car, first, know the load capacity of your roof rack and the maximum spread of the roof rack bars.
The spread of the roof rail bars refers to the distance between the front roof rack crossbar and the rare one. Never mount your rooftop tent on vehicle manufacturers’ roof racks as you can break the rack and possibly damage your vehicle’s roof.
Space Vs Weight
Rooftop tents are typically designed for two to a maximum of 5 people and fit a double to a king-size foam mattress. However, the bigger the tent and mattress, the heavier and more cumbersome your rooftop tent. As such, find the RTT that has the right balance between weight and size for Jeep Renegade and your family.
Softshell Vs Hardshell
While softshell rooftop tents allow views in all directions, most hardshell tents won’t give you 360-degree views. However, hardshell rooftop tents look sleeker when folded and more aerodynamic than softshell RTTs.
Besides, some hardshell RTTs come with storage on top of the shell. The hardshell can either be the roof of the tent or one sidewall. So, think carefully about which type will be right for your Jeep.
Manual Vs. Automatic
Some hard-shell rooftop tents are generally designed to lift with a gentle nudge while most softshells require to be flipped open manually and the awning bars installed. However, rooftop tents featuring gas struts that lift the tent open are increasing in popularity. But they are often expensive and they have more parts risking failure.
What else will you be carrying?
Some rooftop tents require you to carry an access ladder inside your vehicle while some leave extra space on the roof for boats or bikes. Some hardshell tents come with storage on the top for gear or space to mount a storage panel.
Ideally, choose a rooftop tent that won’t cramp your sense of style or limit your overland adventure.
Q: Can you put a roof top tent on a Jeep?
A: Absolutely Yes! However, your Jeep’s roof rails have to be secure. In fact, rooftop tents are generally user-friendly and can be installed in any vehicle type so long as you have a secured roof rail. Also, you can effectively attach a rooftop tent to your soft top Jeep.
Q: Are rooftop tents bad for your car?
A: Rooftop tents are not bad for your car if rightly installed and their weight doesn’t exceed that of your car’s roof. Otherwise, the weight and that of the occupants will stress your car’s suspension to increase some wear and tear on some systems.
Q: Can you sleep in the back of a Jeep Renegade?
A: Yes, you can. It is a great option, particularly for nights when there may be a strong storm that your rooftop tent can handle. Besides, it can be ideal if you don’t want to deal with a wet tent the next morning.
Q: Can you put a rooftop tent on an SUV?
A: Yes. Most SUVs can support rooftop tents since they have the structural capacity to support a rooftop tent, rack system, and the roof load limit is over 165 pounds.
Without a doubt, there are several reasons you should invest in a Jeep Renegade rooftop tent, especially if you are an overland enthusiast. From the ease of accessibility to efficiency in making your camping an overall greater experience, buying any of the tents on our list may guarantee you an unmatched camping experience with your Jeep.