A Jeep Wrangler is the perfect camping vehicle. It is capable and adventure-ready, features excellent amenities designed to make camping experiences fun, and easy to accessorize.
However, it only takes a few camping trips to discover how extremely limited the space for your cargo is in your Jeep Wrangler. And even though the JLU and JKU provide additional cargo space, you require creative packing to fit your gear. The best way to give the flexibility to pack, store, and carry camping gear is by installing a roof rack on your jeep wrangler.
But with the various Jeep Wrangler roof tent rack brands in the market, choosing the right aftermarket accessory can be daunting. For this reason, we have put together the five best aftermarket Jeep Wrangler roof tent racks to help you make an informed choice.
Let’s get started!
1. MaxxHaul Roof Rack
- Instant cargo space for vehicle with cross bars; Basket size - 46" x 36" x 4-1/2"
- Easy to assemble and install (assembly and mounting hardware are included)
- Attaches to most cross bars with easy to use u-bolts for simple installation
- Includes rubber caps to cover the U-bolts and protect the cargo
On the top of our list is the MaxxHaul rooftop cargo carrier steel basket. This roof rent rack is 46″ x 35.87″ x 4-1/2″ and is made of alloy steel and rubber. It is also compatible with most vehicles, including passenger cars, trucks, and SUVs like the Jeep Wrangler.
The MaxxHaul roof tent rack is highly durable thanks to its rugged all-steel construction frame. The MaxxHaul roof rack has a 150 lbs distributed load capacity and a 46″ x 35-3/4″ x 4-1/2″ high roof basket providing instant cargo space. It can also support a roof top tent.
The MaxxHaul roof rack comes with assembling and mounting hardware and attaches to most cross bars with simple-to-use U-bolts, enabling easy and quick installation. It also has rubber cups that cover the U-bolts and protect your luggage.
With that being said, the MaxxHaul roof rack is not rust-proof. This means you have to pack or store the frame indoors to protect it from harsh weather conditions.
- Instant cargo space
- Easy and quick to assemble and install
- Not rust-proof
2. XCAR Roof Rack Carrier Basket
- Heavy-duty steel construction with black powder coating resists weather elements and corrosion, offering several years of long-lasting use
- Free up space in your vehicle with this roof rack cargo basket that can hold up to 150 lbs. Overall dimensions include: 64"(L) x 39"(W) x 6"(H).
- Four universal U-bolts,accommodating square cross bars up to 4.6" wide x 1.375" thick or round bars up to 1.375" in diameter
- Note - Please make sure your cross bar's distance is greater than 29.7 inch, if you want use the extension part
If you intend to go for a camping trip with your Jeep Wrangler and are worried about storage or mounting your roof top tent, the XCAR roof rack carrier basket is an ideal solution. XCAR roof rack cargo basket’s overall dimensions include 64x39x6″ and can support up to 150 lbs, enabling you to free up space in your Jeep Wrangler.
The XCAR roof rack also features a quality heavy-duty construction with a black powder coating resistant to corrosion and weather elements. This means you do not have to worry about investing in another roof rack for your Jeep Wrangler after purchasing since an XCAR carrier basket is long-lasting.
The roof rack comes with four universal U-bolts that can accommodate round bars up to 1.375″ in diameter or square crossbars up to 4.6″ wide x 1.375″ thick, allowing easy installation.
With the XCAR roof ack carrier basket, you can store camping equipment, extra luggage, cargo bags, and even mount a roof top tent, enabling you to enjoy a memorable outdoor adventure! XCAR roof rack also comes with a cargo net that allows you to secure your load to your vehicle.
- Durable and long-lasting
- Resistant to corrosion and weather elements
- Reasonable pricing
- Easy to mount and install
- Exceptional functionality
- Increased wind noise when the car is at speed
3. MeeFar Roof Rack Carrier Basket
- DURABLE BUILD - Tubular steel in black epoxy powder coating to promote high strength and a lightweight design. and covered in a rust free coating. It is rated for 200 lbs
- OVERALL DIMENSIONS - 51"(L) x 36"(W) x 5"(H)， 200 lbs Capacity
- AERODYNAMIC - Features a wind shield that helps protect cargo from wind damage and keeps the vehicle more aerodynamic.
- EASY ASSEMBLY- Easy to assemble and install on your vehicles cross bars, mounting with four universal U-bolts. you will need cross bars to use this roof basket.
MeeFaer carrier basket is one of the most durable exposed racks for SUVs, including the Jeep Wrangler. This soft shell roof top tent rack is made of heavy-duty tubular steel and a black epoxy rust-free coating to promote high strength and design.
The 51 x 36 x 5″ MeeFar rack can support a dynamic load rating of 200 lbs, enabling you to mount your rooftop tent on your Jeep Wrangler.
You do not have to worry about wind noise and drag with this roof rack because the MeeFar carrier basket is aerodynamic. It also features a windshield that protects camping gear and accessories from wind damage.
MeeFar roof top tent rack comes with four universal U-bolts that can easily be mounted to your Jeep Wrangler’s crossbars. The crossbars allow even weight distribution feet, enabling you to mount your rooftop tent easily onto your Jeep Wrangler.
Other accessories included in your MeeFar roof rack include carrier basket ratchet straps, a waterproof rooftop bag, and a cargo net.
- Easy to install
- Can support up to 200 lbs
- Screws may not hold up to extreme weather conditions
4. Rhino-Rack Jeep Wrangler JL
- INCREASED CAPACITY - Strengthen your Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited hard top so that you can mount a Pioneer Platform & increase your cargo capacity. The Backbone adds...
- THREE MOUNTING POINTS - The three mounting points on each side of the roof system add mountable capacity and weight distribution for a Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform, Vortex...
- NO INTERFERANCE - Won't interfere with the removal of your Freedom panels or hard top, since the kit bolts to your hard top both internally with the reinforced structure...
- CARRY MORE - 76% More load capacity (114lbs more) is what you get compared to a roof rack mounted directly to the hard top. The factory non-stationary cap is 150lbs,...
Increase your cargo load capacity with the Rhino-rack Jeep Wrangler. The pioneer rack features a backbone that strengthens your Jeep Wrangler, allowing a higher load limit and improving your vehicle’s cargo-carrying ability.
The Rhino-rack has a three-base mounting system that provides more mountable capacity and weight distribution feet for vortex bars, Rhino-Rack Pioneer platform, and heavy-duty bars. This makes this roof top tent rack excellent for Jeep Wrangler accessories.
With the Rhino-rack rooftop rack, you do not have to worry about interference with the removal of your hard top or freedom panels. This is because the rack bolts to the hardtop internally with a reinforced structure and externally through the mounting brackets.
Carry more with the Rhino-Rack Backbone. With the factory non-stationary load capacity being 150 lbs, this roof rack provides you with an additional 114-loading ability.
Rhino rack comes with internal brackets that can be installed around your Jeep Wrangler window frames to bear the weight from your roof. The inner brackets carry the load from the top down into the Jeep Wrangler’s steel body, minimizing the roof load pressure. Your Jeep Wrangler can support a maximum load of 795 lbs when parked and a static load of 265 lbs.
Installing a Rhino rack is pretty straightforward because this roof rack comes with all hardware needed for installation. It also includes detailed installation instructions, and you can mount the frame yourself. If you are unsure how to install the pioneer rack, mainly because some drilling is required, do not hesitate to watch online setup videos.
Consider adding a pioneer platform, one of the best accessories for your Jeep Wrangler, to enable maximum rooftop usage.
- No interference with the freedom panel or hardtop removal
- Increased load capacity
- Added weight distribution and mounting capacity
- Reduced load pressure
- It may be challenging to install
5. Mockins Roof Cargo Basket
- 𝗖𝗮𝗿𝗴𝗼 𝗦𝗲𝘁 - 250 lb Capacity Extendable Rooftop Cargo Basket includes a 16 Cu Ft Waterproof Rooftop Cargo Bag 44" x 18" x 34" made from heavy duty...
- 𝗘𝗮𝘀𝘆 𝗔𝘀𝘀𝗲𝗺𝗯𝗹𝘆 - The Car & SUV Roof Rack Car Top Carrier is easy to assemble and install on your vehicle's cross bars (you will need...
- 𝗛𝗲𝗮𝘃𝘆 𝗗𝘂𝘁𝘆 - The roof cargo carrier is built from heavy duty steel, and we cover our cargo racks in a rust preventive coating to keep your roof...
- 𝗦𝗲𝗰𝘂𝗿𝗲: The 6" high metal side rails of our roof rack baskets will keep all your belongings safe and in place throughout your drive. Our SUV roof racks...
Are you tired of figuring out how to load your vehicle with all your accessories and gear? Not sure how you will mount your roof top tent onto your Jeep Wrangler? Consider investing in the Mockins extendable cargo roof top tent rack.
The Mockins roof cargo basket has a durable and long-lasting waterproof cargo bag made of heavy-duty vinyl. You do not have to worry about frequent repairs and maintenance of your Mockins Jeep Wrangler roof tent rack bag because it is made of abrasion-resistant material.
The storage bag also features eight pairs of added 5.5″ Velcro, a 2″ zipper flap, a bag lock, and 4 – 1.5″ straps buckle straps to ensure your gear and accessories stay safe during drives.
You do not have to incur additional costs when hiring an installation professional. You can quickly assemble the Mockins extendable cargo basket on your Jeep Wrangler’s side rails and cross bars. You just have to ensure your Jeep Wrangler has crossbars and side rails before installation.
Mockins roof cargo basket can be extended from 43 to 64 inches in length to enable the rack to serve your needs. The cargo basket also has a sturdy steel construction with a rust-resistant coat finish, allowing it to withstand extreme elements.
Thanks to its 6-inch high metal side rails, the Mockins roof top tent rack can keep all your possession safe and secure throughout your trips. Mockins extendable cargo basket has a one-year warranty and comes with a storage bag, two ratchet straps, and a bungee cargo net.
- Sturdy steel construction
- Additional space
- 1-year warranty
- Lacks connecting tubes from the rear to the front piece
- Requires constant TLC
Jeep Wrangler Roof Tent Rack Buyer’s Guide
How do I choose the right roof tent rack for my Jeep Wrangler?
Here are five factors to consider when buying a Jeep Wrangler roof tent rack to help you decide.
1. Strength and Durability
The last thing you want during your camping trip is a roof rack system failure. For this reason, ascertain that the rack is made of high-quality, durable material before purchasing. A rack that can withstand extreme weather conditions should be at the top of your purchase list.
2. Accessory Lineup
A perfect rack for your Jeep Wrangler should be one than can serve multiple purposes. For this reason, you should go for a roof rack system with the broadest range of accessories because it provides more adventure possibilities. Ideal roof racks should accommodate kayaks/canoes, roof top tents, axes, bikes, fuel and water cans, and surfboards, among other accessories that may suit your needs.
Be sure to research the market before settling for a specific rack. The last thing you want is to lock yourself out of the rack accessories you want for your Jeep Wrangler.
An ideal roof rack for your Jeep Wrangler should be strong, not heavy. Some companies manufacture clunky frames using heavy materials such as steel, which adds extra weight to your Jeep Wrangler. Be sure to conduct in-depth research on a specific rack to ensure it is made of well-engineered lightweight material with added strength and more load-carrying capacity.
With more people leaning toward car camping life, there is the emergence of Fly-by-night rack companies. These organizations stock up rip-offs, take your cash, and disappear. For this reason, visit a brand’s website before buying a specific model, and read online reviews.
Purchase from a company that has been around for a decade and with an excellent reputation. The brand should also provide live customer services to help with roof tent installation and answer queries about performance.
How much are you willing to spend on a Jeep Wrangler roof tent rack?
A roof rack is an expensive investment, with some models costing up to $500. For this reason, consider what you want to transport, the size of your family, and how frequently you will camp to set a reasonable budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can you put a roof top tent on a Jeep Wrangler?
Although roof rack system options vary widely, most rooftop tents can mount perfectly on a Jeep Wrangler. Not only is the jeep wrangler designed to hold down tight trails perfectly, but it can also accommodate essential camping and overlapping gear, including a roof top tent.
2. Can my roof rack support a tent?
Static weight. A rack system can support more static weight than it can be dynamic. If your Jeep Wrangler’s rack system can support a roof top tent when the car is driving, then it should safely hold the tent when stationary, even with your loved ones in it.
3. Do you need a rack for a roof top tent?
Yes! Your van, truck, or SUV must have a rack system to install a roof top tent.
4. What kind of rack is needed for a rooftop tent?
A roof top tent can be installed on a canopy, a flat rack, or a cross back. However, ensure the exposed racks have a Dynamic Weight Capacity (DWC) of the weight of your roof top tent
5. How much weight can a Jeep top hold?
A jeep wrangler’s hardtop can safely hold a dynamic weight of up to 70kgs (150 pounds). The hardtop of a Jeep Wrangler is designed from sheet molding compound (SMC). SMC is comprised of a thick fiberglass base. The sheet molding compound is used in applications that require high strength, such as a Jeep Wrangler hard top.
6. Is a hard top better for a Jeep?
Yes. A hard top can insulate your jeep’s cabin better than a soft top. This is because a hard top is made of thick fiberglass that enables it to trap warm air inside the jeep during cold months and cold air during the hot days of the year. For this reason, a Jeep Wrangler with a hard top is more comfortable than one with a soft top.
7. How fast can you drive with a roof top tent?
There is no harm in driving your vehicle at top speed. However, since a roof top tent adds extra weight to your car, it is best to maintain a speed of under 65 mph for safety reasons.
And there you have it, some of our top Jeep Wrangler roof tent racks:
- MaxxHaul Roof Rack
- XCAR Roof Rack Carrier Basket
- MeeFar Roof Rack Carrier Basket
- Rhino-Rack Jeep Wrangler JL
- Mockins Roof Cargo Basket
Depending on your needs and budget, there are endless options, from simple front runner basket style racks to excellent exoskeleton roof tent racks for your Jeep Wrangler. Consider the product’s pros and cons to make an informed choice. Happy camping!